ssh console access
- To access a text console through the ssh iLO interface, use the remcons command.
- With iLO 2, remcons is not available; you may use the Virtual Serial Port (VSP) to access a text console.
- To access the VSP, login to iLO 2 via ssh and type vsp.
- The default Virtual Serial Port is COM 2; IRQ3; IO: 2F8H-2FFh (at least on an HP ProLiant DL360 G5).
You will have to start an agetty process on the COM2 port in order to use the VSP. RHEL 5 example:
- Add the following to /etc/inittab:
S1:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 115200 ttyS1 vt100
- Run telinit q to have init reread /etc/inittab.
In order to see the startup/shutdown messages on the VSP, add the following to the appropriate kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst:
... kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-8.el5 ro root=LABEL=/ console=tty0 console=ttyS1,115200 ....
- Topic: Configuring iLO2 and Debian with serial support
- Starting a text-mode Debian install using the virtual serial port (VSP) via an ssh connection to iLO 2
- no remcons in ilo2?
"Remote Console - in use"
There does not appear to be an option within the ssh and Web interfaces of the iLO to reset the iLO and clear an "in use" remote console connection.
- Select Administration, and then Network Settings. Click Apply, and iLO will reset, freeing the remote console.
- Select Diagnostics, and then click Reset under Reset Integrated Lights-Out 2.
- Select Administration, and then Network. Click Apply, and iLO 2 will reset, freeing the remote console.
OpenSSH problems with iLO ssh server
The OpenSSH client on my Ubuntu 7.10 system is incompatible with the ssh server on an iLO system with 1.91 firmware. There may be problems with other OpenSSH/iLO versions.
$ ssh -V OpenSSH_4.6p1 Debian-5build1, OpenSSL 0.9.8e 23 Feb 2007 $ echo "QUIT" | nc iLO 22 SSH-2.0-mpSSH_0.0.1 $ ssh admin@iLO admin@iLO's password: dispatch_protocol_error: type 100 seq 9 dispatch_protocol_error: type 100 seq 10 buffer_get_ret: trying to get more bytes 4 than in buffer 0 buffer_get_int: buffer error
As a workaround, use PuTTY.
To upgrade iLO/iLO 2 firmware through the iLO HTTPS interface, download the Online ROM Flash Component for Windows, Extract the files, and Send firmware image of the appropriate firmware file (e.g., ilo191.bin). Note that wine for UNIX systems works with the self-extracting .exe file.
Using Virtual Media with the Command-Line Interface
The iLO 2 Virtual Media Java applet does not work well over a low-speed WAN. My Linux ISOs would routinely not boot when using this Java applet.
As an alternative, ISOs may be loaded from an HTTP server using Virtual Media with the iLO command-line interface.
hutch@hutch:~$ ssh admin@iLO admin@iLO's password: User:admin logged-in to iLO(10.215.14.5) iLO Advanced 1.42 at 08:37:01 Oct 03 2007 Server Name: CZC7124NST00 Server Power: On </>hpiLO-> vm cdrom insert http://10.215.0.35/kickstart/boot_isos/5Server-i386_boot.iso (Note: use IPs when specifying an HTTP server) </>hpiLO-> vm cdrom get VM Applet = Disconnected Boot Option = NO_BOOT Write Protect = Yes Image Inserted = Connected Image URL = http://10.215.0.35/kickstart/boot_isos/5Server-i386_boot.iso (Note: the "NO_BOOT" means that the system will not boot off the "connected" image) </>hpiLO-> vm cdrom set boot_once (Note: The next boot will be from the connected image) </>hpiLO-> power reset
You will likely want to start a Remote Console via the iLO 2's HTTPS interface.
To reboot iLO without unplugging the power to the system, run the following command on the SMASH interface.
cd /map1 reset
Virtual Power Options
- Momentary Press button provides behavior identical to pressing the physical power button.
- Press and Hold is identical to pressing the physical power button for five seconds and then releasing it. This option provides the ACPI-compatible functionality that is implemented by some operating systems. These operating systems behave differently depending upon a short press or long press. The behavior of this option might circumvent any graceful shutdown features of the operating system.
- Cold Boot of the system immediately removes power from the system. The system will restart after approximately six seconds. This option is not available when the server is powered down. This option circumvents graceful operating system shutdown features.
- Reset System initiates a system reset. This option is not available when the server is powered down. The behavior of this option might circumvent any graceful shutdown features of the operating system.